Friday, November 18, 2011

My mentor! My tutor! My mentor! My tutor!

Hey folks! Some good participation here. I'm so happy to see that this little community is growing. If you haven't done so already, please post! We'd love to hear what you have to say.

I'm wondering today how many of you work at colleges where tutors, either officially or unofficially, double as mentors. Here at Redacted College (not the actual name; it's a joke), we don't have much in the way of an academic mentorship program, so the closest we come is probably the tutors and supplemental instruction leaders that I train and supervise. There are campus leaders who get involved with campus activities, clubs, and so on--but this isn't academically focused. The closest thing we have, really, to students working with students to achieve long-term academic success is tutoring.

Does your college have a more focused mentor program that helps students in this area? Or is it more like Redacted's, where we don't really have something like that? Tutors wear many hats, of course--is mentor one of them for you?

No comments: