Friday, October 28, 2011

Study Skills

Hello again.

So, if you're like me, you've discovered that many students need help with some basic study skills. Sometimes, when students say they're having trouble grasping a difficult concept or writing a tough paper, what they really mean is that they haven't taken good notes on that concept or set aside enough time to write that paper.

I find myself tutoring discrete study skills quite often: how to keep a time-management schedule and stick with it; how to take, consult/review, and use good notes; how to highlight and annotate a textbook; how to devise possible test questions. So often students struggle not because they don't "get it" but because they simply haven't set themselves up to succeed.

With that in mind, I invite you to check out this series of instructional videos that were recently posted to YouTube. Each video in the series is only a few minutes long, and each tackles a different topic that students often need to hear. Maybe you can share these ideas with your students...

Got any other wonderful resources or ideas to share? Post them here!

1 comment:

Alvin Madden-Grider said...

Agreed. What we often tutor is not the subject matter but how to learn the subject matter.

Thanks for such a nifty blog (I'm old, so I use words like "nifty" just to show off my age.).

I will let my tutors know about this.